History of The Opera Guild for Atlanta
The Opera Guild for Atlanta was founded in 1949 through the inspiration of Miss Lucrezia Bori and the efforts of Mrs. Harold N. Cooledge to “develop and cultivate a wider public interest in opera and its allied arts, to further musical education and appreciation, and to sponsor and give assistance to operatic, musical and cultural activities of an educational character.”
A high priority at its inception was the guild’s nurturing interest in the Atlanta performances of The Metropolitan Opera. In this connection instructive and entertaining operalogues were presented with young singers to overflowing audiences. Dr. Hugh Hodgson of the University of Georgia was the inspiration behind these acclaimed seminars. With encouragement from The Opera Guild for Atlanta, the Atlanta Public Schools radio station presented seasonal programs of music and annotations to reinforce the enjoyment of the current presentations of the Metropolitan tour. Lavish social functions enticed and entertained many opera devotees and were germane to the popularity of the guild in its early years. The annual opera week luncheon attracted hundreds of regional opera lovers along with internationally acclaimed singers and other operatic celebrities.
The Opera Guild for Atlanta remains keenly aware of the need to work in all areas of operatic activity. Auditions, workshops, opera education, and support to local opera companies remain ongoing priorities for The Opera Guild for Atlanta.